Saturday, November 19, 2011

Riding north to Nonthaburi; ~14 mile loop

Today, as I was leaving my apartment with my bicycle, I ended up reflecting how sometimes knowing some Thai but not enough makes me tell little white lies. I was carrying my bike down the stairs, and the condo maid, who knew some details of my itinerary last weekend, asked me if I was going to the Grand Palace again. I paused in consternation, unable to explain that I had no destination and was going to make a loop in a general northwest direction. I sat there for a second trying to think of the various things I knew how to say, and none of them really worked. So I gave up. Yes, I'm going to the Grand Palace again.

But I didn't go there. This ride took me west and north, to Nonthaburi area, which is a suburb of Bangkok. Highlights include a friendly but stimulating mini alleycat race with a Thai rider I crossed paths with, finding a commuter railway station that might be a portal to awesome later, and a nice canalside walking park. And, as always, learning more about the roads that I can take to get around town, and which to recommend and disrecommend. Recommend: Pradhipat/Thanon Thahan, Thanon Pracha Cheun. Disrecommend: Thanon Krung Thep-Nonthaburi. I got some decent photos today, so click through the pins to see what I saw:)

No comments:

Post a Comment